2017-06-12 / Front Page

Authorities investigate house fire

By TIM GULLA
Ledger Staff Writer

A Saturday morning fire that damaged a Washington Avenue home remained under investigation over the weekend with plans for samples from the scene to be tested at a lab.

City of Gaffney firefighters were called to the 300 block of Washington Avenue at 5:52 a.m. Fire Capt. Robert Grigg said smoke was coming from the eves of the home upon their arrival.

Given the early morning hour and the fact the home was locked, Grigg said firefighters made immediate entry to search for anyone inside. No one was home, however.

Fire Marshal Billy Bishop said it was later learned the occupants of the home, who were in the process of moving to another residence, had left the home some time between 4 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. Saturday.

The area of origin of the fire was determined to be a hallway outside a bedroom. Bishop said he could find nothing in that area that should have sparked a fire, so he called in the Cherokee County Sheriff ’s Office to take an additional look. Bishop said he took several samples from the fire scene which will be sent for testing in the hopes of discovering a cause.

A bedroom and hallway sustained the most damage, Bishop said, while the remainder of the home sustained heat damage. No injuries were reported.

Cherokee County Sheriff ’s Office deputies were actually called twice to the scene. Shortly after arriving at the fire scene and connecting their 5- inch mainline hose to a fire hydrant down the street, Gaffney firefighters requested sheriff ’s office assistance because some people were driving over the fire hose stretched across Washington Avenue.

Grigg said no one should ever drive over a fire hose and that a loss of water due to a damaged fire hose could endanger lives.

Driving over a fire hose is against the law.

Return to top

Print Edition

Click here for digital edition
2017-06-12 digital edition

Special Sections

Poll

Who do you think should pay for ambulance service in Cherokee County?